Wanting a gluten-free snack?! These Oat cereal bars are gluten-free ( when using gluten-free oats and rice cereal) which have the perfect amount of chocolate and sweetness which that delicious added crunch.
Oats are considered to be healthy as they are rich in protein, dietary finer and B vitamins. Did you know that Oats also have cholesterol lowering properties and are also low GI foods, and tend to keep you fuller for longer. Did you know most of our oats come from Russia and Canada?! Well yes it’s true, I always assumed you need lots of heat but I guess I was completely wrong!
With a lot of schools now not allowing nut based products, I was trying to get a little creative with pack lunch treats, so decided to make these Oat cereal snacks not containing any nuts but keeping them on the healthier side.
Adding the rice cereal gives these bars that lovely crisp crunch, but I guess you could add corn flakes, hoops and even special K. Actually I think Special K might work really well….do feel another kitchen creation whirling?!
I must say, these do keep well, lasted well over a week and stayed crunchy through out until the end, I think they could easily last 2 weeks. What is great, is that you can wrap it foil and know that it won’t turn into a crumble mush in the lunch bag as they hold their structure very well.
Oat Cereal Bars
- 200 g Oats
- 100 g Rice Cereal
- 50 g Currants
- 115 g Butter
- 150 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 150 g Golden Syrup
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
- Add oats and rice krispies to a bowl.
- Add currents and give it a good mix
- Add butter, dark brown sugar, golden syrup to a small shallow pan.
- Over medium heat bring the butter to melt and sugar to dissolve.
- Pour the melted hot mixture into the bowl of dry oats, rice krispies and currants.
- Mix well making everything is coated.
- Press the mixture into a lined tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 180c.
- Melt the chocolate and then drizzle over the oat cereal bar.
- Cover loosely with foil and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Slice into small pieces and enjoy!