The Tasty Buzzfeed videos are all the rage at the moment popping up on my Facebook and Instagram, and now and then they inspire to try to make something similar. So today was one of those days, and here is my version of the cheesy flavoured vegan creamy pasta. I’m not a fan of using nuts to help make sauces creamy as they add so many more unneeded calories.
Now most of these style of vegan cheese recipes requires cashews to add the extra thick creamyness – but I’m not a fan of the slight cashew taste you get . I tried the regular way and think this way just tastes a lot fresher and better for the waist line.
This pasta was absolutely deliciousness on a plate, over the last 2 years ( specially with going vegan) the veggie choices are always tomato based and after a while there is only so much you can do with tomato based sauce, and its not the same creamy texture like a cheesy sauce.
Now to be honest, my husband even liked it however his only comment was that it needs more cheese! lol. I didn’t even tell him it was vegan! I may have not had the same honest feedback otherwise. Who knew that blended potatoes and carrots can give you a cheesy flavour and texture, to be honest the nutritional yeast is the main part to give it the yellow colour and cheesy taste to the sauce.
I think the sauce would actually taste uber good with some chips – ok not so healthy but OMG that would just be the perfect night in cheesy chips and a fruity cider! The vegan cheesy sauce will keep well for a few days to add to other dishes – if stored in the fridge.
Vegan Creamy Pasta
- 2 Medium Potatos
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Medium Red Pepper
- 4 Medium Mushrooms
- 2 Handfuls Fresh Spinach
- 200 g Dry Pasta
- Peel and chop the potatoes, carrot and 1/2 onion. Boil in water until tender. In a seperate pan boil the pasta until cooked.
- Chop the other half of the onion, red peppers, mushrooms and handfuls of spinach in a small fry pan.
- Sauté the vegetables until soft and cooked well.
- Into a blender add the potatoes, onion and carrots with about 100mls of the water they were cooked in, with the salt, garlic powder, onion granules and nutritional yeast.
- Blend on high speed until blended and creamy.
- In the fry pan with the vegetables, add the drained cooked pasta with 2 tbsps of the pasta water and pour in the creamy cheesy sauce.
- Serve warm
Leave a Reply