Jaman Cheesecake is a perfect fusion of Indian and Western cultures in a awesome dessert. Well, have you ever have a craving for Gulab jambu (Jaman) and Cheesecake at the same time? Well, this one is for you – slightly spiced cheesecake with cardamom and saffron with soft sweet moist jambu, 🙂
This is a totally no bake recipe and vegetarian….even made with veggie gelatine ( which you can get by Dr Oetker at any supermarket like Tescos or Sainsburys). The gelatine actually gives it a better texture, without altering the taste.
Now I’m not gonna lie, I did try a small bit ( did also make a vegan version for myself too using tofu instead cream cheese and yogurt!) This is probably my best fusion creation yet…It was one of those sitting there at the lovely Memsaab lunch buffet where my son was having a bowl of Jambu and hubster was having cheesecake, and thought what if the Jambu was in the cheesecake….and presto like magic here it is and works amazingly well.
Jaman (Jambu) Cheesecake
- 300 g Digestive Biscuits
- 150 g Butter
- 100 ml Double Cream
- 70 ml Greek Yogurt
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- 400 g Cream Cheese
- 3 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 2 Pinch Saffron
- 1 sachet Veggie Jelly
- 150 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Ground Pistachio
- 30-35 Small Gulab Jaman (Jambu)
Small Gulab Jaman (Jambu)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Fine Semolina
- 200 ml Milk
- 400 g Milk Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 500 ml Water
- 300 g Sugar
- 2-3 Green Cardamom
- Pinch Saffron
- Optional Rose Water
- Blitz the biscuits into biscuit crumbs.
- Melt the butter and pour into the biscuit crumbs.
- Mix well making sure the melted butter is mixed well.
- Press the mixture into a loose bottom cake tin, then allow to chill for about 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Meanwhile dissolve some veggie jelly in hot water in a seperate bowl. In a mixing bowl add the double cream and start to whisk on medium speed until it thickens up little
- Add the yogurt, icing sugar, cream cheese, cardamom, saffron and jelly.
- Whisk this up until everything is mixed.
- Spoon in 4-5 spoons of the cream mixture and spread over the bottom of the biscuit base.
- Add small Jaman balls (instructions below), then add more cream and repeat a few times.
- Ensure the last layer covers all the jambs balls.
- Add more jambu balls to the top and some ground pistachios over the top for decoration, then chill for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
Small Jaman ( Jambu)
- Heat water, saffron, whole cardamon and add sugar in a pan.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer until it forms a sugar syrup.
- Mix together the milk and semolina and allow to rest for about 5 minutes then add milk powder, flour, ghee and ground cardamom.
- Kneading with your hands or spoon, keep adding the milk mixture until a soft dough starts to form.
- Taking a small amount of dough, roll into a ball.
- Over medium/low heat vegetable oil, then drop in slowly a few of the jambu balls.
- Stirring constantly, ensuring the balls are rolling around the pan, this ensures they cook evenly.
- Remove from the oil to set aside for about a minute.
- Then drop into the syrup and allow to soak up the syrup
Leave a Reply